Can you guess who had the most likes on Facebook for the top 100 airports in the U.S.?
I thought it was surprising.
Here is the top 10 list of U.S. Facebook pages with the most Likes (as of April 12, 2012):
- Los Angeles International Airport 61,464 Likes
- Cleveland Hopkins Airport 40,516 Likes
- Akron-Canton Regional Airport 37,176 Likes
- O’Hare International Airport 26,549 Likes
- Orlando International Airport 25,099 Likes
- Denver International Airport 24,757 Likes
- Logan International Airport 22,940 Likes
- John F. Kennedy International Airport 22,441 Likes
- San Francisco International Airport 21,984 Likes
- Metropolitan Oakland International Airport 18,421 Likes
Los Angeles is one you might expect.
But would you have guessed that Cleveland and Akron Ohio would be #2 and #3? In fact, if you put them together they far surpass LA with 77,692 total likes.
That’s impressive. That’s particularly interesting to me because according to this list Akron-Canton is #96 of the 100 airports based on 2010 passengers. Although, I’m not sure how trustworthy the passenger numbers are on that list. According to this CAK post they had 1.5 million passengers in 2010 which would put them around the #70 mark. Yet they are the #3 airport with the most Likes.
But what is important about those numbers is this from that same CAK post:
At the end of December 14, 2011, our passenger count reached 1,654,000 total passengers, exceeding our all-time passenger tally (1,560,031) set in 2010.
One of the things people often ask about social media is: “How can you track it?”
You track it like that.
Is it a coincidence that they continue to have record breaking passenger tallies and also have the third most liked Facebook page of the top 100 airports?
While CAK is a client of ours, we have nothing to do with their social media. We are the search people for them. Their social presence has everything to do with their internal marketing team.
According to this CLE page, Cleveland Hopkins is the 36th busiest airport. That is also impressive to come in as the #2 most Liked Facebook page. My feeling is that they are being pushed by CAK to be better socially. This is a good example of how the community benefits from competition. We have a really great social presence to work with in Northeast Ohio.
ATL came in at #25 with 7989 Likes. They are the airport with the most passengers. I thought that was interesting. I don’t want to jump to conclusions here. But my instinct is that they could potentially have a more interactive presence in Facebook. As of this moment (April 13, 2012) Atlanta has 183 people talking about them. Akron Canton has 1310 people talking about them. It’s possible I just caught them at a slow moment.
Tomorrow I’m going to talk about tips on how you can make your Facebook pages a little better.
Most recent posts by Sage Lewis
- How to be successful in an MLM - September 21st, 2016
- Focus and Persistence - September 19th, 2016
- Free Marketing Ideas from Sage - September 2nd, 2016
- Hey idiot! You're reading your Google Analytics all wrong! - August 29th, 2016
- My Free Marketing Shit - August 26th, 2016
Help Support This Content By Supporting Our Advertisers
Get marketing strategy advice whenever you need it. On Demand.
Try a session totally for free. No credit card required.