If you happened to read my last post, you would know that I’ve recently been struggling with having some sort of meaningful purpose in my life. I’ve been wanting to contribute to the world in a way that has meaning and purpose.
I’ve found something that can help in that pursuit in a small way.
I decided I would run for a charity.
If I had to pick one issue that means something to me, it’s the poor and underprivileged in my community. I feel that they often get left behind for more sexy causes like Rwanda, deforestation and global warming.
I have always seen myself as a bit of an underdog. Consequently I have a special place in my heart for other underdogs.
I feel the poor in my local community are often the underdogs of underdogs.
How to help them is a whole other issue.
In thinking about it, I feel that the biggest impact you can make in a community is with young children. If you can help them get a good start then they have a foundation that will help give them an opportunity to succeed the rest of their life.
I believe that if more kids from lower socioeconomic communities had more access to books before kindergarten they would be significantly better off.
Check out this report:
The U.S. Department of Education’s Early Childhood Longitudinal Study (ECLS), which tracks the progress of more than 20,000 American schoolchildren from kindergarten through the fifth grade, showed a correlation between the number of books in a child’s home and their test scores.
The crux of the report was this finding:
* A child with at least 50 kids’ books in his home, for instance, scores roughly 5 percentile points higher than a child with no books, and a child with 100 books scores another 5 percentile points higher than a child with 50 books.
This finding has been a big driver for my motivation to help kids get access to more books.
So with all that said, I’ve very excited to be supporting:
The program seeks to combat rising youth illiteracy rates in the United States through the recruitment of book donations from publishers and distribution of donated books to literacy organizations.
From their vision statement, they write:
Literacy opens doors of opportunity and understanding that no other skill can provide. The ability to read, write and understand stimulates communications that impact every life. Rock For Reading’s vision is to inspire a community of readers and to create a community of dreamers.
I’m really excited about all of this.
I get to accomplish something I’ve been talking about doing for a very long time… running a marathon. And I get to help a cause I truly believe in.
But here’s the thing. I need your help.
I am looking for people to help support my Chicago Marathon run by donating to Rock for Reading.
It’s really easy to do and you can donate any amount. Click here’s for my Rock for Reading Donation Page.
But here is where it gets good!
If you donate to Rock for Reading from my donation page I’ll personally give you the equivalent in private Web marketing consultation.
This is based on a $200/hour rate and I’ll divide it into half hour increments.
So, if you donate $100 to Rock for Reading, I’ll give you a 1/2 hour of Web marketing consultation.
I’m willing to do this for a total of up to 10 hours of private one-on-one Web marketing consultation from yours truly. So, you could get the entire 10 hours for $2000, if you wanted.
Here’s why this is interesting:
- My baseline rate is $2000 for non-clients. That’s how much it costs to get me in the door. That’s usually for 3 hours or less.
- I don’t do anything for less than a $1000 ever… for anyone. So, getting me for a half hour for $100 never happens anymore.
- A large part of my job these days is studying external conditions in my industry. I read, absorb and process Web marketing information at a deeper level than I ever have anytime in my Web marketing career. I do this to help keep the SageRock team the most educated Web marketing team in the industry. I no longer do “tasks” within SageRock. I’m constantly working “on” the business. This makes me sharper than ever.
- This means I am more studied and educated than anytime before. I’ll be an open book for you for as little as $100.
- All the money goes to the charity. In fact, you have to donate it through the donation page. So, you are getting some of the best Web marketing consultation anywhere ever and all the money is going to a great cause.
- You could use the time for things like:
- A Social Media and your business… how you should be using this space most effectively
- The key factors in making a successful SEO campaign
- Getting the most out of your analytics
- Competitive analysis… using the latest tools to determine how you are stacking up to your competition.
- Online reputation management. Know what it being said about you and develop a strategy to address it.
- Or let me know if you have other topics you might like to discuss.
- Here’s how it works:
- Donate a minimum of $100 on my donation page
- Each $100 increment is worth 1/2 hour of consultation directly with me. So, as an example, a $500 donation would get you 2.5 hours of consultation.
- Then contact me here letting me know how much you donated and what you might like to consult about.
- Consultations will be either on the phone (using GotoMeeting) or in the SageRock Institute here at SageRock. (If you buy 5 or more hours worth of consulting I will be willing to come to your office, if you are in Northeast Ohio.)
- It’s a Win, Win, Win: You are giving to a good cause. You are getting something in return. And I get to feel like I’m doing something purposeful with my life. How can you beat that!
So please consider making a donation. It would mean a lot to me and you’ll get a lot out of it too.
If you aren’t interested in the Web marketing consultation that’s fine too. Any donation of any size would be incredibly kind and helpful.
Most recent posts by Sage Lewis
- Are You Sponge Worthy? - November 18th, 2013
- Holy Cow, I just won an award for an article I wrote!! - November 4th, 2013
- The Small Business Content Marketing Package - ON SALE! - October 17th, 2013
- The Tools - Episode 3 - Get 3 Leads Right Now - October 10th, 2013
- Merikaz Got Merika Episode 1 - October 3rd, 2013