That’s not Marty Weintraub. Although it comes up in Google image search for his name. (there could be worse things).
So we’re not that other person. But hey… we’ve got our own thing going on.
I was asked by Search Engine Strategies in Toronto to do an interview with Marty Weintraub after his session on Facebook marketing.
There are two reasons I want you to watch this video:
1. He has developed a strategy for demographically targeting in Google AdWords (by using Facebook ads) that will blow your mind. I literally was dreaming about it last night.
The general concept is this: You target an ad in Facebook for something very specific:
- who live in the United States
- between the ages of 18 and 45 inclusive
- who are male
- who like #Batman, #Superman, #Riddler, #Robin (comics), #Spider-Man (film), #Spider-Man, #Mr. Freeze, #Iron Man 2, #The Green Hornet (2011 film), #The Incredible Hulk (film), #Superhero, #Catman (comics), #Iron Man (film), #Captain America, #Joker (comics), #Wolverine (comics), #Joker (2012 film), #Thor (film), #Heath Ledger, #The Dark Knight (film), #Batman Begins, #Kick-Ass (film), #Transformers (film), #Green Lantern (film), spiderman, iron man, batman dark knight, penguin or riddler
Then send those people to a specific landing page on your site that only those people would see. Drop some remarketing code from Adwords on that page.
Remarketing using Google AdWords lets you serve ads across the Google AdWords network based on the fact that they visited a specific page on your site. You can learn more about using remarketing to reach people who visited your site at AdWords Help.
You have now demographically targeted the Google AdWords network.
Do you see how freakin’ awesome that is!!??
Google has only ever allowed us to target geographically. Now, with the help of Facebook (and LinkedIn, actually) we can use the two networks together to demographically target our audiences. So, now Batman can target his exact demographic across all the Interwebs. (Nice job Batman, btw, putting up an AdWords ad for your movie over the weekend. I would love to see your traffic numbers from that ad. I bet it’s going to kill. Oh… and incidentally, I crafted the demographic targeting data above for you too. Just take it and build a Facebook Ad. Send the traffic to a hidden page on your site. Include the AdWords remarketing code in your page’s code and you are good to go.)
If you haven’t read my first Batman article, you can check it out here:
Batman is getting beat up in Google, here’s how I try to help
2. The second reason I want you to watch this video is actually even more important than the first. Marty clearly points out that there isn’t a Facebook problem. We, as marketers, have a marketing problem with Facebook.
Do you understand what I’m saying?
Facebook is 900 million people all sliced and diced in neat demographically targeted columns that we can all buy in any micro-increments that we want in a sweet self-service model.
This is demographically targeted data of biblical proportions. In the history of humanity we have never been given such a marketing gift.
And yet all people do is bitch about it.
- Facebook isn’t right for b2b markets.
- Facebook isn’t right for GM.
- Facebook doesn’t convert.
Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit.
Any problems we have with Facebook are ours. If we can’t figure out how to motivate and connect with those 900 million people we are idiots. We don’t deserve the gift Facebook has given us. Just go back to the phone book and buy some ads there.
Marty Weintraub is a great asset to the Web marketing community. We are lucky to have him. And I was really excited to get to interview him.
You can check out the entire interview here: