Yesterday I spoke at COSE on: Facebook, Twitter and Online Video – The Cheapest, Most Targeted Advertising You Will Ever Experience
It was a super fun event and the people were awesome.
At the event I gave away 10 Tips for Successful Social Media Advertisement.
This is an area of advertisement that behaves differently than other online advertisement. The goals and objectives should be potentially different than other channels you advertise in.
Because of that, I wanted to put together a list of 10 tips for successfully advertising in the realm of social media.
Here they are:
- Put this in your experimental budget.
If you dream of social media advertising making rich and famous and you’ll be retiring on the North Shore of Belize by the end of this quarter, you will probably be disappointed. You need to play with this and experiment with how it can work for you. But make no mistake: I can work for you, if you know what you are doing.
- Think “Engagement” not “Conversions”
Social media is about you connecting with people. It’s about you making your relationship deeper with your target audience. Look at the ways people are engaging with your ads more than how your ads directly effect your sales.
- Understand the “Social Value” in Google Analytics
Google Analytics does a nice job of helping you visualize how social media is effecting your Goals you have setup in Google Analytics. You can see how social media has assisted and also was the last interaction of your goal sets. The key here is having good goals set up in Google Analytics.
- Use Facebook Graph Search for market research to see who could be potential targets:
- I’m not sure “Promote an Important Post” works:
It tells you that your post has been seen by X% because you promoted it. I’d rather see actual numbers. Try it if you want. But I’m really suspicious of the value.
- YouTube ads have 3 primary usages: Engagement, Call to Action, Remarketing. Test all of these to see which works best for you:
- Try targeting your YouTube Video ads by geography:
- Manually promote selected tweets:
Don’t let Twitter automatically promote tweets for you. You likely will waste money on tweets that don’t matter to you.
- Consider marketing your videos through BrightRoll:
- Don’t sell product, make connections:
If you have some other tips for social media advertising I’d love to hear them. Just drop them in the comments below…
Here is the list on slideshare in PDF form: